What is the difference between general liability insurance and professional liability insurance?

Each policy covers different kinds of liabilities. Specifically…

  • General Liability Insurance (sometimes called "slip-and-fall" insurance) covers accidents that happen at your restaurant and injure your guests or other non-employees. For instance, if a customer gets burned by hot coffee and sues your restaurant, GL is the policy you'll turn to when you get word of the claim.
  • Professional Liability Insurance covers mistakes made in the delivery of your work. For example, a Professional Liability policy may address a lawsuit alleging your catering business used chicken stock at a vegetarian fundraiser. If the client lost potential donors because of the debacle, they could sue for their financial damages.

Still have questions? Fill out the Q&A form. We'll get back to you with an in-depth answer.

Grab-n-Go Information

Sample certificates
See a sample Certificate of Liability Insurance, the proof of coverage you need for most contracts.
Download pdf
Sample Quotes & Cost Estimates
See what insurance really costs: actual quotes by policy & specialty.
Learn More
Ask A Question
Submit your questions about restaurant insurance and get answers from our experts.
Learn More