If I contract out bar services, do I need liquor liability insurance for my catering business?

Because liquor liability laws vary significantly from state to state, this is a complicated question to answer. But to give you an idea about your catering business's liability, here are a few things to consider:

  • If your catering business has a liquor license, it's almost always a good idea to carry some form of Liquor Liability Insurance, as "dram shop" laws usually target license holders.
  • Even if your state's dram shop laws don't apply to your situation, "social host" regulations might hold you accountable for your subcontractors' actions.
  • Each state's liquor liability laws usually depend on the interpretation of a word like "provider" or "control" – malleable terms that may or may not apply to independently contracted liquor service.

Ultimately, whether Liquor Liability Insurance makes sense for your catering business depends on your business's particular circumstances and practices. Contact a food business insurance expert for advice specific to your business.

Still have questions? Fill out the Q&A form. We'll get back to you with an in-depth answer.

Grab-n-Go Information

Sample certificates
See a sample Certificate of Liability Insurance, the proof of coverage you need for most contracts.
Download pdf
Sample Quotes & Cost Estimates
See what insurance really costs: actual quotes by policy & specialty.
Learn More
Ask A Question
Submit your questions about restaurant insurance and get answers from our experts.
Learn More